Facts on Net Neutrality – Introduction
When you log on the Internet, you definitely want the freedom to browse all websites of your choice. This is a human tendency and you will surely feel offended if you find that you are not allowed to view the website of your choice due to some regulation or rules. Taking control of the internet experience is what all of us enjoy the most. This brings us to the topic of Net Neutrality.
Facts on Net Neutrality – What is Net Neutrality?
- Net Neutrality is a basic principle that prohibits any Internet service provider from slowing down, speeding up or blocking any website or applications that you want to use.
- Net Neutrality has been there in existence ever since the Internet was born, but recently it has gained a lot of popularity due to the restrictions and malpractices adopted by many internet service providers.
- Net Neutrality is the internet’s guiding principle that preserves or safeguards the right of people to communicate freely on the Internet. In other words, Net Neutrality gives impetus to freedom of speech and communication.
Facts on Net Neutrality – Internet World Without Net Neutrality
Without Net Neutrality, internet service providers get a free hand in dictating the terms of the internet usage – qualitatively and quantitatively. What does this mean?
Say an internet service provider A was approached by a political party B to block the content of all the rival parties.
What do you think will happen?
The rival political parties will not be able to share their content or communicate with the masses and will result in a win for the political party B.
Experts believe that without Net Neutrality political wars can be won and companies too can get a competitive edge over their competitors.
Facts on Net Neutrality – How did the Debate of Net Neutrality Spark in India?
- The debate of Net Neutrality actually sparked off when Facebook launched Free Basics (previously called internet.org) in the December 2015.
- This debate also got fuel when telecom major Bharti Airtel launched ‘Airtel Zero’
- Seeing this, TRAI has decided to ban both the projects. Why is TRAI doing this? What will be the effects?
Facts on Net Neutrality – TRAI, Net Neutrality and World
Recently TRAI issued a public notice saying that “The scope of the proposed principles on non-discriminatory treatment apply specifically to ‘Internet Access Services’, which are generally available to the public.”
Both Airtel Zero and Free Basics lets users access certain applications and websites for free. How is this possible? Well, Airtel has a fantastic model. It would charge the companies that want to be a part of the Zero universe.
With Free Basics, data was subsidized by Facebook via a partnership with a telecom company. So, basically, any service provider can be associated with Free Basics, but they have to adhere to the guidelines and rules set by Facebook. When Facebook officials were contacted, they said that they want to make the internet more accessible to the masses, especially for the ones who cannot afford the premium 4G internet connections.
Facts on Net Neutrality – How are People Affected?
For the common man there may not be much of an impact, but on the business front, there will surely be a humongous impact. Competition is getting fierce and companies are rising and falling like a pack of cards. With Net Neutrality the common man can feel free and browse the web without any inhibitions.
418total visits,6visits today